One of the best ways to get kids involved in picking up the house is to make them feel like they are being a big help. The key is to not make it feel like a chore but more like a fun activity. Here are some tips to make having a tidy house with children possible.
- Designate a special area for their toys. Get cool bins and baskets for them to gather their things in. If you can use bins on wheels these make getting toys from one area to another a snap.
- Buy colorful boxes to put on a bookshelf to store small toys in.
- Use hanging shoe holders to store arts and craft supplies, actions figures or Barbies.
- Make everything easily accessible. Get down on your knees and look around! Realize how everything looks from that level and make then make it easy for them.
- Bars in closets should be at a height they can reach. That way they don’t have an excuse to not hang up their clothes!
- Have a special drawer or cupboard for snacks that are safe for them to eat on their own.
- Put their bowls, plates, cups and utensils low enough for them to reach on their own.
- Designate places for shoes, backpacks, coats and other things they might ditch when they walk in the door. Label the space with their name so everyone knows whose stuff it is.
- As with any organizing project, label, label, label! This way there will be no confusion as to what goes where.
- Go through their backpack together at least once a week. Not only can you get rid of anything before it gets gross but you may also find that note about bringing treats before it’s too late!
Teaching your kids these habits young will help them to stick as they grow up. Happy organizing!